Thursday, December 10, 2015

The garage is kinda cool I guess...

Finally I'm updating this again. 

I've been spending a ton of time downstairs hanging out with my bikes. About a month ago I bought a Jetblack Whisperdrive Trainer. It's one of the best on the market. So...this is kinda a review also. I chose a $700 trainer for these reasons. 

  • If you goto a gym, you have to use those stationary bikes with bad seats. The geometry is all off. You can't watch what you want to. 
  • I hate the trainers that your back wheel gets locked in. It doesn't work with all bikes. Basically it's not as stable as I'd like them to be. The resistance is annoying because your wheel is touching a rotating part. The fluid is often very loud. 
  • I wanted a trainer that would be compatible with a road bike or one of my 12x142 mountain bikes. I put a road cassette on it, turned around the handlebar bc it's more comfortable for long periods of time, threw on foam grips, and adjusted it all. Its been great so far


Here's basically what I've looked like for the past week and a half. 






I've had it all set up for about ten days now and am at 423 minutes. It took me about 8 days to get used to longer rides. Luckily the ESPN 30 for 30 movies have kept me super interested for 100 minutes 2 days ago and 80 minutes today. It's been rad. 

Yesterday I got down to 233 pounds. My clothes have started to become a bit looser. I'm shooting to lose about 25 more pounds. I need to ramp up my weight lifting. Basketball is starting soon so I have to be careful not to break anything. I'm still eating very well. Carbs are down, protein is up. 
I have a goal to get down under 230 before I leave for Christmas break on the 21st. I don't care if it's just water weight. I just want to do it to prove to myself that I got under 230. 

This is what I'm building so that when the season is ready...My almost 40 pounds lighter self will be able to kill it on the trails!!!
















Quick overview of the changes to the bike. 

  • Full 2016 Shimano XT Group with Saint Brakes
    • 30t chainring
    • 11-40 cassette
    • 203mm XT Rotors
  • Change from Deity Carbon bars to Deity Black Label
  • 35mm Deity Decoy Stem instead of 50mm
  • 2015 Fox Float X Evol instead of Marzocchi 053 S3C2R
  • Anvl Forge Saddle is on it's way. 

1 comment: